Friday, April 10, 2009

When You Hope that Real Weddings Don’t Mirror Television


AKA What Lessons Real Brides Can Learn from “Harper’s Island”

by June Hoffman of Megasound


I took an hour last night to check out the new mini-series “Harper’s Island.” It is a thirteen week thriller, drama, horror, and wedding event. I read all of the buzz about the show where one person is supposed to die each week. I was shocked when the premiere had two deaths, and by the end of the hour, no one even knew these two characters were dead.


The premiere certainly had all of the real wedding drama. Drunk groomsmen, flirty bridesmaids, moody family members, and all of the anxieties of coming to your childhood home filled the screen. This is not to mention a jealous ex, parents with mixed feelings, a sullen flower girl, a barroom brawl, and more.


What do I think that brides can learn from the "Harper’s Island" premiere? Select a wedding venue that gives off positive vibes. I understand that people die. I would not want the guests having a mass murder as the biggest topic of conversation during the wedding festivities. Just my feelings though.


The previews look interesting for next week's installment of “Harper’s Island.” I know though that I would not want to be the guest who finds Harry Hamlin’s hacked body stuck in a bridge. Who knows what other lessons brides will learn from this new CBS mini-series. We shall see next Thursday.


No comments: